Surely you already know that the flowers are fertilized by pollen and there the fruits arise. When we talk about pollination we mean the transport of pollen from anthers to stigma. In fruit trees this process is generally carried out by insects, which perform an entomophilic pollination, in some cases a wind or anemophilic pollination is performed.
If your fruit trees do not have a good pollination, they will not have too many fruits. Species such as apple, cherry, almond and plum trees may need to be planted with pollinators. This means that they need pollen from a different variety of the same species planted nearby.
These pollinators must be compatible with fruit trees who want to pollinate or produce a pollen valid for them, they must also flourish at the same time as the variety to pollinate.
Apple (commercial) plantations are placed for every four lines of a variety, two lines of another variety to fulfill the role of pollinators. Experts advise a minimum of 10 to 15 percent. In some cases, bee hives are placed on the plot at the time of flowering and removed when pollination was performed.
Some species such as citrus, grapevines, peaches do not require pollinator planting but if they need a mixture of varieties together that bloom at the same time. These species are considered as self-fertile.
There are some drawbacks in pollination and fertilization. For example, when temperatures are very high at the time of pollination, the ovum ages faster and does not reduce the fertilization of flowers. It can also happen that the rains wash the pollen generating a low flowering.
Photo | Flickr
- Bouquet of flowers to decorate environments
- Greener lawn – Ideas for gardens and decoration
- Decorate with cactus turned stones
- How to take advantage of the remains of grass
- Do you always find your neighbor's cats in your garden? Hide them without harming them with this trick.
- How to decorate with an umbrella
- Pergolas for your Garden – Ideas for gardens and decoration
- Characteristics of primroses – Ideas for gardens and decoration
- Improve the business with machinery rental
- Decorate your pots with Neon